Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Day at home

I started writing this page sitting in my front porch. I have my black wagon R on my right hand side and the pink sym – the moped on my left. Don’t get confused. I am sitting in a corner. The climate today has been pleasing. It’s neither hot nor raining, it neither humid nor dry. It’s a perfect November morning. I woke around 7.00 am. After five days at home I was felling dry with the thought that I was flying to Chennai today. It sucked my happiness at least for few seconds. Life at home was, is and would be the best whichever part of world u fly. As always home is sweetest. 

With all these thoughts in my head I woke from my bed. As always the birds had woke before me. They were busy with the chirpings which rose and fell like a chorus practicing. There were few notes that grabbed my immediate attention. The chorus had not only birds but squirrels too. They all were located at different parts of the Mango tree that stood in my backyard, a few meters away from my Window. The sun had its rays touch everything adding an extra dimension to their beauty. I woke with my arms stretched. My spectacles were kept on the table. I took them and climbed down from the first floor to the main hall through the connecting stair. 

My day had begun. As it was a working day Mother was busy at Kitchen. Dad was reading the news paper which was full of Obama as his foreign trip to India had concluded. News paper and the TV and had their chunk of flesh and rejoiced the Presidential visit. 
Our cat – Kitty was roaming around the room and was playing with a small green ball running across the breadth and width of the room. I brushed my teeth and started with my first tea of the day.

After the daily routine I planned to seek the blessings from god. To spent some time with my creator. I wore a dhoti with red lining and a shirt matching to it. The time was 8.30 am. By cousin would be starting to the school which is few meters away from the temple that I would be going. I picked him and dropped at his school. The view of the school brought back the memories of my school days.

My school was only 3 km away from home. To be more precise my parents decided to settle down near to the school. Though the distance seemed less I still used to travel by school bus. The days when the school used to start at 8.30 which were later changed to 7.30 to ease the traffic. The radio kept at home used to be my navigator. 

It ensured that I always followed time and never missed my school bus. My count of friends in my locality was limited but I had some real good friends in my school. School life was one dimensional. It was all about studying and scoring marks. I still remember the wait for the playing time period. In my time table I used to mark them bolder to ensure that I don’t miss them. Though I was never a champion in any sports you pick I had a larger heart and high level of energy to be part of it. But football had a special place in my heart. The time when the excitement was at its pinnacle was during the opening and closing of the summer vacation. 


At the closing time mind was full of ideas of how to get out the maximum of the time I spent. I learned time management from those days. The day started early and ended late. Life was busting with energy. I traveled to far places and stayed with my relatives for a small span of time. That was really refreshing. By the time the countdown for the school opening starts rain would arrive. This would give some days for rest as play was restricted inside home. Now again the excitement level peaks as with the covering of books, buying new bags, water bottles, boxes and a lot more. I used to paste the best label on the text which I loved the most. Science used to get the best label always. The excitement dies out some time after school opening. Soon life is mouse and cat race with exams and marks.

I press the quick start button and the engine comes to power. I drove from the school to temple. The temple was not crowded as it was a regular working day.  The temple is located in the centre of the ground which used to be the venue where the temple festivals would be conducted. It would be attended would by thousands and is a display of the culture and heritage of the region. That’s a festival that needs to be experienced once in life time.  I drove back after my prayers. I had my breakfast ready on the table. I switch on the TV and ate my breakfast watching it. Finishing my breakfast I sat over the sofa idle for few minutes surfing through the channels. Kitty my cat had taken the pleasure of sleeping over my tummy. I laid there for few minutes without disturbing her. Around afternoon I felt the pain with the thought of leaving to Chennai on evening. I stitched a web of positive scenarios to create the a better feeling. But it was worth of it as I got some relief. I had my tea and by the rain had started pouring.
I love when it rains. Rain has the power of invoking emotions. It makes the atmosphere wet. The wetness has the beauty that is so unique. Rain brings in new energy to the planet. The smell of soil on the first rain is something to cherish for a life time. Both flora and fauna respond to the natures call in their own way. The cry, sprout and every where the positive vibe is felt. I love rain for its mystery. A mystery that I love. I miss my loved ones. Rain always brings the memories of the left over days. The days when I used to go in a cycle to my kinder garden classes, the days at school when it rained, at college where the first romance sprouted and a lot more. Rain brings hope for me. It gives me memories that I have left in the race that I am part of.

Now it’s time for my train. I start after having a cup of tea. Mother packs the food for me which I would be having after some time getting into the train. Dad accompanies me to the station. I meet an old friend of mine at station. He couldn’t recognize me. I spell my name and his memory gets connected with my profile. We have a quick exchange of greetings and end up with a promise to meet sooner. 

I board my train. In my cabin I meet a couple, a young girl and two guy’s one aged around 60 and the other around 40. I exchange a pleasant smile with all and slowly pick a conversation with the couple. Soon all becomes part of the talk. We have subjects varying from climate at Chennai to Obama’s visit. The guy around 60, curses the politicians for the prime reason for the country’s so called under developed status. I defend him with my incorrigible optimism that change is on the way and our country is goanna be super power within the next 20 years. May be this could be the reason that President Obama told the world that India is going to become a super power with half of its population below 30. He would have calculated the power of youth in delivering things and in their power of dreams which could convert any nation to a super power. I still have that faith in me and my nation.


After the brief talk I got to the upper berth and finish the delicious home packed food. I rearrange the bags for me to sleep. Tomorrow when sun raises in East I would be in Chennai ready for the fast paced race. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Santosh Jain.G

"A day at home" makes us cherish the cherishable moments when you are at home with people who are the reason for whom you are here.
Enjoying the pleasurable moments with mom's food especially when it is raining, the birds chirping for the entire day.
There are many unforgettable moments like school where you have spent most of
your days enjoying with friends and teaches that there is a bookside of
everything.

am. said...

yes. Absolutely.